Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First appt!

After three pregnancy test (two different kinds) positives I called and made an appt to see my ob-gyn. They got me in right away that afternoon. I am 41 yrs old, have had three babies by c-section, had a tubal reversal, a missed miscarriage (had a d&c and a d&e due to that) and gestational diabetes with one pregnancy, so rather high risk.
My sister went with me just in case of any bad news. I was weighed (let me just say my dr's scale is a liar and says I am 10 lbs heavier than my home scale. DON'T burst my bubble on this theory!) I had my blood pressure checked, peed in a cup and had an internal exam done. He said he didn't see any more blood at that point and my cervix was closed. All good news. He said the spotting could indicate threatened miscarriage though. I spotted occasionally with my daughter and everything turned out fine with her. I spotted with the last one and things didn't turn out so well with it. This is another post. He set me up with blood work to check my hCG levels for that day and a full pregnancy blood workup for two days later to be able to see what my level was doing and check for several other things. He told me he would have the results Wednesday after Christmas. Such a LONG time to wait for me! I like having everything yesterday.
I went and had both draws done and waited impatiently. Hubby came home Sunday and told me that the dr's office had called Friday and left a message for me to call them. I was so upset with him about not remembering sooner. I called the ob floor Monday to see if the dr on call would know what was going on and all they could tell me was my hCG levels. The first draw was 637 and the second one 48hrs later was 1691. It had more than doubled! Those were excellent numbers for 4 weeks 3 days and 4 weeks 5 days. Things were sounding good.
On Christmas day I woke and went to the bathroom and had some slight brownish pink when I wiped.  Tmi, I am sure. Scared all over again! So the whole day as we celebrated with our family I lived in dread when I would go to the bathroom. But there was nothing else the rest of the day. That evening I took a 3 hr nap with hubby before he had to leave for work. I woke and went to the bathroom and again there was the same spotting but a little lighter. I called the dr's office the next day to see what they had called for previously. She told me it was because they wanted more blood work done because the first was low. My reaction was what the hell?! I had already had the second one done and was told the number was good. I told her this and what the numbers were and she said oh well that's great! I told her that she nearly gave me a heart attack! I also said I was only 4 weeks 3 days when that level was done. They don't normally see pregnant women until the 8th to 10th week and this may have contributed to the confusion. So after that was cleared up I mention the spotting yesterday and she said it was probably from the internal exam as that can aggravate the cervix. A sigh of relief for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment